This week’s view is of Carbon Mine which was located west of the Venita Drive bridge in O’Fallon, near the railroad. The coal mine was originally sunk in 1856 by the Gartside Coal Company and operated until March 31, 1937, closing the next day. At the time it was the oldest operating coal mine in Illinois. The photo was taken in early October 1936 after it had been newly remodeled. (Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.