O’FALLON – The O’Fallon Historical Society held their most recent meeting in a seemingly unusual location- a funeral home. Members headed to Schildknecht Funeral Home to get a tour from Curt Schildknecht and receive a donation for the O’Fallon Historical Museum.
The original portion of the funeral home was completed in 1904 by a beloved local physician, Doctor Herman Theodore Bechtold. Bechtold saw patients on the first floor and had living quarters on the second. He was also an esteemed community member, serving as the first OTHS Board of Education President from 1919-1926, on the McKendree Board of Trustees for four years, and as a member of several community organizations.