At approximately 3:28pm on Wednesday, October 10th, the O’Fallon Illinois Police Department investigated a complaint received from O’Fallon School District 90 Principal Mark Dismukes of suspicious circumstances involving two students. The two female students reported that while walking in the area of Shadow Ridge Crossing at East Wesley Dr., a heavy set white male, approximately 40 years of age, with red hair, wearing a lime green shirt and driving an older model grey Honda SUV with rusty running boards made a hand gesture towards the females leading the students to believe he wanted them to come to his car. The female students ran away and reported the incident to their parents.
An area canvass was conducted with no further information or leads being developed.
Anyone who may have seen the subject and/or the vehicle in question is asked to contact the O’Fallon Police Department (618-624-4545, ext 0) immediately.
Parents are encouraged to discuss the following “stranger” safety tips with their children:
- Always us the buddy system when walking to and from school.
- Walk in well-lit areas and never take shortcuts.
- If someone you don’t know offers you a ride, say no and run.
- Never speak to strangers and never get into a car with a stranger.
- Always go straight home and tell parents if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up
- If a stranger tries to follow you on foot or tries to grab you, run away, scream and make a lot of noise.
- Never give your name or address to a stranger.