This week’s view is of the typing room at O’Fallon Township High School taken during the 1920-21 school year. Back then, typing was part of the Commercial Department curriculum, started two years previous, which also included bookkeeping and shorthand. Miss Clara Mathews, second from left, was the sole teacher in the department. Standing to her right is Prof. L. A. Schafer, superintendent of schools, high school principal and Economics teacher. It was primarily through his efforts that the high school made the transition to a township high school in 1920.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)