View of the Past: First trolley arrived in O’Fallon from Lebanon in 1903

This week’s view takes us back to Dec. 19, 1903 when the first trolley arrived in O’Fallon from Lebanon.  The MetroLink of its day, the electric streetcar or trolley, known as the interurban, was operated by the East St. Louis and Suburban Railway Co. between Lebanon, O’Fallon, Edgemont and East St. Louis.  Passing through O’Fallon along Second Street, the trolley stopped at Apple, Vine, Lincoln, Cherry and Oak Streets.  It arrived just in time for the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair with round trip specials from O’Fallon to the fair being offered on Tuesdays and Fridays during that summer for 60 cents, 70 cents from Lebanon.  The trolley was a fixture of O’Fallon life until Nov. 30, 1928 after which it was replaced by buses run by the Blue Goose Motor Bus Co.  The last of the trolley tracks were pulled up in downtown on Feb. 18, 1929.  

Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society

For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.

Posted in O'Fallon, Vantage Point and tagged .