This week’s view is from West Fifth Street, looking east toward Cherry. For a time, the entire O’Fallon city public school system was contained primarily in these two buildings. The one on the right was built during 1901-02 and was meant to replace the old 1861 brick school building that once stood at the northeast corner of Third and Lincoln. The one on the left was built in 1912 and originally housed the O’Fallon High School. The older building was torn down in 1977 while the other was razed in 1992. The photo was taken not long after the 1912 school was built.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.