This week’s view from the early 1940’s is of a Baltimore & Ohio steam locomotive, pulling freight, approaching the Oak Street crossing in O’Fallon. To the far right, in the distance, is the old water tower that stood next to where the current water tanks are today. The railroad tracks crossing State Street in the lower part of the photo is the B. & O. spur that led to the Tiedemann Flour Mill which once stood just west of Oak until it was destroyed by fire in 1972.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)