This week’s view is from about 1910 at the northwest corner of State and Vine. At the time it was home to Henry Beckmann’s Bar. The building, still standing, has been a saloon/tavern/bar for most of its life except during Prohibition when it was converted to a confectionery/soda fountain/ice cream parlor. Probably the most well-known of its proprietors were Stephen and Emily “Ma” Rush who ran it during Prohibition and shortly after, from 1920-36. An occasional visitor was their young nephew, Ronald Reagan who would later become president. Reagan’s mother was Emily’s sister.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.