This week’s view is an aerial one of Scott Field, known today as Scott Air Force Base. The photo was taken in 1918, probably in the summer, by Cpl. Frank H. Werner of Aerial Photographic Section No. 30, based at Scott. The pilot and Scott’s officer in charge of photography was 2nd Lt. Burr S. Cameron who arrived at the post July 1st that year. On Oct. 4 while doing “wing-over-eights” he lost control of his plane and fell in a field west of Scott. Remarkably, he not only survived but recovered by the end of the year. The photo was taken in the afternoon when most of the planes were in the air.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.