This week’s view is of North Cherry in O’Fallon, ca. 1912, looking north with 403 on the far left. The houses on the west side of the street (left) were part of what was then a rather new subdivision – Smiley’s Addition which was annexed in 1905. It was subdivided by Ernest H. Smiley of O’Fallon and his uncle, Andrew B. Smiley of Belleville, both prominent bankers. One of O’Fallon’s earliest city ordinances (No. 3 dated Nov. 17, 1905) authorized connecting this northern part of North Cherry with the southern part. The current jog in the road at this spot is a reminder of when they were separate.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.