This week’s view is of the old carriage house, still standing, on W. Second St. behind what is now Fezziwig’s Marketplace at 225 W. First. It was built in May 1909 by Mathias Schwarz behind his furniture store as a barn primarily for the hearses and carriages used by his undertaking business. Horse-drawn vehicles could be stored on the second floor using an elevator. Horses were kept on the ground floor. Schwarz and his family ran both the furniture and funeral business until 1946 when the latter was sold, becoming what is known today as Wolfersberger Funeral Home. The furniture store, however, remained in the Schwarz family until it was closed in 2011. At that time it was the oldest business in O’Fallon still run by the same family, being founded in 1894.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)