This week’s view is of the interior of the Tiedemann General Store which was located in the building still standing at 300 W. State in O’Fallon. Started by German immigrant Ernst J. Tiedemann in 1865, it was at one time the largest retail store in town. Tiedemann was also a surveyor and he was the one who laid out the original town of O’Fallon in 1854. His stately and beautifully maintained residence at 212 W. Washington is an historic landmark. Two of Tiedemann’s sons appear in the photo which was taken about 1900 — Louis (left) and Henry.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)