This week’s view is a double feature from 1881. It’s a drawing of the home of Benjamin Van Court with an inset of the coal mine he operated. His mine was located along what is now Betty Lane, between Weber Dr. and Seven Hills Rd., in O’Fallon. His home and farm were close by. A native of Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, Van Court came to O’Fallon from St. Louis in 1856 with his wife Amelia. They moved back to St. Louis in 1883. The Van Court mine closed in 1890 and the property, including the farm, was bought soon after by William G. Willard who would build a stove foundry there.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)