This week’s view is from an undated photo (probably 1920’s) of Carbon Mine whose entrance was located near the railroad just west of the Venita Drive overpass in O’Fallon. The mine was sunk in 1856 by the Gartside Coal Company in what was then known as Alma which was, essentially, a coal mining company town. The young railroad town of O’Fallon, founded just two years earlier, was up the line to the east. At the time it closed in 1937, Carbon was the oldest operating coal mine in Illinois. The lettering, by the way, was printed on the photo itself and wasn’t actually on the building.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.