This week’s view, taken from an 1881 drawing, is of the southwest corner of First and Lincoln in downtown O’Fallon from what is now Steven Mueller Florist to the east side of Wood Bakery. At the corner, Charles F. Fischer ran the O’Fallon House hotel which he purchased in 1870. Next door to the west he also sold lime cement, plaster of Paris and sand. To the south across Second Street, he ran a livery stable and feed supply. The building to the far right was occupied by a general store run by Fischer’s son-in-law Bernhard W. Muehlhausen (east half) and the U.S. Post Office (west half). The second floor of the building was home to the O’Fallon Masonic Lodge. All the buildings on that corner were destroyed by fire in 1953.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.