This week’s view is of the intersection of Washington Street and North Lincoln Avenue in O’Fallon, looking north, ca. 1908. The steeple poking out above the trees on the right belonged to the old City Hall. Back then, North Lincoln was called Main Street and consisted of black, sticky loam. It would remain a dirt road until 1911 when it was paved with bituminous macadam — rock bound with asphalt.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.