This week’s view is of the Lincoln Service Station that once stood at the southeast corner of Second and Lincoln in Downtown O’Fallon. The building directly to the north was Rothkegel’s ice cream parlor. The station was built in 1921 as the Thomas Filling Station. George C. Anheuser (standing next to the pump in overalls) purchased the operation in 1925 and ran it at that location until 1932 when he moved the business, buildings and all, to Route 50 near the western city limits. A “Spanish-style” service station replaced it. The old First National Bank building now sits where it was.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.