This week’s view is of Thomas Hardware at 113 E. First Street in O’Fallon, about 1955. Founded by Walter W. Thomas, the store started out at 123 E. First in 1922. In 1926 Thomas purchased the hardware stock and 113 E. First building of Adolph Ohlendorf, Sr. and moved his business there. Two years later, on May 8, 1928, the store went up in flames, being destroyed in 30 minutes. But the structure was rebuilt later that year, better than before. Thomas Hardware was a well-known downtown fixture until it finally closed in 1999. The building, however, still thrives today as the home of Shooter’s Bar & BBQ.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.