This week’s view is of the downtown O’Fallon business district along East First Street, looking west. Of particular note is the O’Fallon Public Library at 119 East First. That was the library’s home from March 1945 until February 1962. The building was originally constructed in 1914 for Dr. Herman T. Bechtold to house the U.S. Post Office which occupied it until 1938. The photo was taken not long before the library moved to its new home on the first floor of 101 West State where it would remain until the present library at 120 Civic Plaza was built in 1995.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.