In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, this week’s view is of Mackin’s Saloon, ca. 1912, which once stood at the southeast corner of First and Lincoln in O’Fallon. The Mackin House, as it was originally known, was founded by Irishman Thomas Mackin near the end of the Civil War. His son, Joseph, ran the saloon from 1908 until 1919 when it closed due to Prohibition. Drinking returned to the building after Prohibition but not under the Mackin name. The Irish landmark met an unusual end in 1973 when its front wall collapsed. At the time it was known as Midway Tavern. It was torn down in 1975.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.