This week’s view is of the old O’Fallon City Hall at 200 N. Lincoln Ave. The photo was taken shortly after the original bell tower was removed in Sept. 1937 as part of a general renovation of the building. At that time, City Hall still housed both the fire and police departments plus the city jail. Though it faced considerable opposition, the hall was built in 1890 at a cost of $4136 and was dedicated on New Year’s Eve at the end of that year.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)