This week’s view is of the old Keppler Church which once stood on O’Fallon-Troy Road, half-way between Seven Hills and Scott-Troy Roads. Belonging to a German Protestant congregation dating back to at least the early 1840’s, the church was unofficially named after Rev. Heinrich Keppler who served there from 1851 until his death in 1892. The building also functioned as a school with Rev. Keppler as the teacher. Next to the church was a parsonage and a small graveyard. To the northwest was a larger graveyard, started by the church in 1846, that is still run and maintained as an active cemetery by the St. Joseph’s Burial Association which traces its origin back to 1873. Unable to get a new permanent pastor after Rev. Keppler’s death, the congregation disbanded about 1896 and its members dispersed to what are now United Church of Christ congregations in O’Fallon, Collinsville and Lebanon. The photo is undated but probably from the 1910’s.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.