This week’s view is of the old O’Fallon Township High School building that once stood on Route 50 between Oak and Cherry, the current site of Marie Schaefer School. Built at a cost of about $100,000, the school opened the fall of 1925 with a total enrollment of 188. The high school occupied the building until the fall of 1958 when the “new” high school (the current Smiley Campus) opened at Route 50 and Smiley. The old building was sold to the grade school district which used it until it was torn down in 1992. Many may remember it as being part of Marie Schaefer Junior High.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.