A View of the Past – May 24, 2017

This week’s view is of the Class of 1903, the first to graduate from O’Fallon High School.  The graduates, left to right, were Thomas Gordon, Ethel Huschle, Henry Poignee, Edna Thurston and Ralph Evans.  Back then it was a two-year high school which, according to its first principal William R. Dorris, was founded in 1901 “despite the continued opposition of a few contra minded persons, including a member of the Board who openly expressed his disapproval of educating other people’s children too highly at the taxpayers’ expense.”  The photo was taken in May 1903.

(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)

For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.