This week’s view is of O’Fallon Police Chief James Tiley using the police department’s first two-way car radio in June 1954. In those days when residents called the local phone number for police, it rang directly to the dispatcher at the Belleville Police Department who then radioed instructions back to O’Fallon. Tiley was hired in 1953 as a co-city marshal along with Theodore Darner. The duo replaced Police Chief Nick Hemmer who had resigned due to bad health. Tiley was named chief of police in 1954 and held that position until his retirement in 1973.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.