This week’s view is of the Post Exchange at Scott Field, now Scott Air Force Base, in 1918. The Canteen, as the Exchange was better known, included a merchandise department, restaurant, barbershop and pool tables. At the time, Sgt. Emil J. Wyrch was Assistant in charge of the office. Sgt. John A. Hoffman was Steward, responsible for the merchandise and running the business in general.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.