This week’s view is of a sewer line being laid under Second Street in O’Fallon, probably in 1913. The photo was taken in the middle of Lincoln Ave. looking north, toward the intersection with Second. The brick building on the corner was the rear wing of the old O’Fallon House hotel and the building to the left of that, behind the trees, was Louis Allen’s department store which fronted West First Street. Both were gutted by fire in 1953. The brick walls of Allen’s survived and parts of them were retained and used when rebuilding that section of West First.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.