This week’s view is of the interior of the Sel-Mor Garment Company plant in O’Fallon, ca. 1966. Sel-Mor (or Miss Elaine as it’s still known today) made all types of women’s lingerie and had plants in various locations, including O’Fallon. They operated in the hall in Community Park (today’s Katy Cavins Community Center) under a lease agreement with the City of O’Fallon beginning in 1953. In 1966 they employed over 150 women and had a payroll of $500,000. The O’Fallon plant in the park closed in 1987 due to, according to the company, a decline in business caused primarily by competition from imported garments.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)