This week’s view is of the cornerstone laying of the old O’Fallon Township High School Gymnasium on March 13, 1939. Located at South Cherry and West 6th Streets in O’Fallon, it’s now part of Marie Schaefer Elementary School. In the background are the two grade school buildings, both no longer standing. Built in Art Deco style, the gym was designed by Wilbert G. Knoebel of Knoebel & Pabst architects of East St. Louis and constructed by Safe-T Construction of Granite City for $68,997. The first event held in the new building was on November 7, 1939. The O’Fallon basketball team hosted Marissa Community High. While O’Fallon lost both games played that night, they still were winners with a handsome new gym.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.