This week’s view is of a car parked in front of what is now O’Fallon City Hall near the corner of Lincoln Ave. and Third St. on Oct. 29, 1937. Across the street is the “new” United States Post Office under construction. To the left (north) is the Oliver C. Joseph building in which John L. Anheuser and Robert R. Ruth ran a Dodge and Plymouth dealership and garage. Anheuser was also O’Fallon’s Postmaster. The Post Office was dedicated Apr. 9, 1938. The building was vacated in 1992 when the current Post Office was built. It was razed in 1995 to make way for the parking lot that is there today.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.