This week’s view is of the Richland Mills in O’Fallon taken from an original photolithograph print dated Dec. 30, 1886. The sprawling flour mill complex was built in 1861 and, at the time of the picture, owned by Charles A. Tiedemann. Located at 320 W. State, the mill was destroyed by fire in 1972. The Ernst Tiedemann general store, run by Charles’ brother, is the building to the far right. It still stands at the northwest corner of Oak and State.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.