This week’s view is a photo taken ca. 1908 in O’Fallon at the intersection of First and Oak, looking south with St. Clare’s Catholic Church rising in the distance. On the left is Richard Remelius’ hardware and farm implement store which he built with local bricks in 1878. His sons, Charles and Martin, were operating the business at the time of the photo. The building was torn down in 1969. On the right is the Richland Hotel, built in 1872 by Nicholas Gansman. The 16 room frame building hosted a saloon, boarding house and even grocery store over the years. It was razed in 1934 with its white pine lumber being salvaged.
(contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)