O’FALLON – At the O’Fallon District 203 meeting, superintendent Dr. Darcy Benway announced that the tax rate of the district will reduce.
“We did receive an EAV from St. Clair County and our tax rate as a school district is scheduled to go down almost three and a half cents,” Benway said. “So the EAV is increasing, which will allow us to support the additional students coming into our district.”
Benway said no action needs to be taken because the tax levy – which was previously approved, will not be changed.
“It doesn’t mean peoples tax rates necessarily go down because it depends on the value of your home, it depends on all of the other taxing bodies and other things,” she said. “Our rate and portion of that as its charged against your assessed evaluation as tax payers is reduced.”
Benway said the taxable EAV figure is $969,443,656.
During her report, OTHS Assistant Superintendent Dr. Martha Weld said the Feed the Future program, which started in January, has culminated in 186 lunch bags being given out to 62 different students.
By grade level, 18 percent is given to freshman, 32 percent to sophomores, 27 percent to juniors and 23 percent to seniors.
“There really isn’t a significant difference between grade level,” Weld said.
Weld said 18 percent of students utilizing the program are not on Free and Reduced lunches.
“Social workers have established relationships with them so that has been a real positive for us,” Weld said.
There has been approximately $800 spent in the program. Funds are supported fully by OTHS staff and community donations.
“We are trying to make students more aware of it, we are giving a flyer to every student — not just those who technically qualify because that would be stigmatizing.”
“We have expanded pick up locations to the nurses office and to our speech pathologist as well,” Weld said.
In other action…
• District 203 board members approved an intergovernmental agreement with the City of O’Fallon regarding the MidAmerica St. Clair County Enterprise Zone.
• The Board approved the Intergovernmental Agreement with the City of O’Fallon and O’Fallon Community School District No. 90 (regarding the MidAmerica St. Clair County Enterprise Zone).
• A motion was approved for the purchase agreement for land adjacent to Milburn School as presented, and to authorize the Superintendent to execute all related documents to effect the purchase of the property, subject to the review of legal counsel.
• A motion was approved for the Agreement Granting Ameren Illinois an Electric Easement
• A motion was approved for the the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Membership Renewal