Milburn/Simmons Roundabout now open

Roundabout Construction

Roundabout construction at Milburn School Road and Simmons Road (O’Fallon Weekly Photo by Nick Miller)

O’Fallon – Mayor Gary L. Graham is pleased to announce that the roundabout at the intersection of Milburn School Road, Simmons Road and Fairwood Hills Road is now open. There will be temporary lane restrictions until August 31, 2016, when the project is scheduled for final completion, please use caution in the area.

“The new roundabout will make it safer, easier, and quicker to travel through this important and busy intersection,” said Mayor Graham. “I want to thank everyone who made this project possible, including the contractors and all of our O’Fallon residents, who were patient and understanding throughout the entire process.”

The Milburn/Simmons/Fairwood Hills roundabout was 80% funded by the federal government through a Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ) grant. The remaining 20% of the project was funded by the City of O’Fallon.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, roundabouts have numerous benefits over conventional signaled intersections which include:

Increased safety

Up to 90% reduction in fatalities
76% reduction in injury crashes
30-40% reduction in pedestrian crashes
75% fewer conflict points than four way intersections
Slower vehicle speeds (under 30 mph)

Drivers have more time to judge and react to other cars or pedestrians
Advantageous to older and novice drivers
Reduces the severity of crashes
Keeps pedestrians safer
Efficient traffic flow

­30-50% increase in traffic capacity
Reduction in pollution and fuel use

Improved traffic flow for intersections that handle a high number of left turns
Reduced need for storage lanes
Money saved

No signal equipment to install and repair
Savings estimated at an average of $5,000 per year in electricity and maintenance costs
Service life of a roundabout is 25 years (versus the 10-year service life of signal equipment)
Community Benefits

Traffic calming
Aesthetic landscaping
The City of O’Fallon currently has five roundabouts, which are located at:

State Street & Obernuefemann Road
Old Vincennes Trail & Seven Hills Road
Porter Road & Simmons Road
Milburn Road, Fairwood Hills Road & Simmons Road
Milburn Road & Merriam Parkway
Guidelines to remember when driving through a roundabout:

Slow down
Yield to pedestrians and bicycles
Yield at the entry to circulating traffic.
Stay in your lane within the roundabout and use your right-turn signal to indicate your intention to exit
Always assume trucks need all available space – don’t pass them!
Clear the roundabout to allow emergency vehicles to pass
For more information about roundabouts, please go to http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/innovative/roundabouts/.