The City of O’Fallon and I pleased to announce that the O’Fallon Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services Departments will be hosting two “Safe Stops” for trick-or-treaters on Monday, October 31st. One will be located at Firehouse #1, 106 E. Washington Street, from 6 – 8:30 p.m., and the other at Central School, 309 Hartman Lane, from 5 – 8 p.m. Trick-or-Treat hours for the City of O’Fallon are from 6 – 9 p.m. on Monday, October 31, 2016.
Plenty of food, drinks, and fun will be available at the O’Fallon sites for the trick-or-treaters. Bring your children out for some good, safe Halloween fun!
To assist parents as they plan for the Halloween and Trick-or-Treating season, the O’Fallon Police Department has put together a few safety tips that will help keep your children safe and sound during this fun time of year:
- A parent or responsible adult should always accompany young children.
- If your older children are going alone, plan and review the route that is acceptable and agree to a specific time when they should return home.
- Instruct your children to travel only in familiar, well-lit areas.
- If children are allowed out after dark, fasten reflective tape to their costumes and bags to assure they are visible.
- Tell your children not to eat treats until they return home.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on and never enter a home or car for a treat.
- Both children and adults should put electronic devices down, keep their heads up, and walk, do not run, across a street.
- Call the O’Fallon Police Department immediately at 624-4545 if you notice any suspicious activity
The O’Fallon Police Department has also provided some tips for motorists during this time:
- Watch for children walking on roadways, medians, and curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways, alleys, and intersections carefully.
- At dusk and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.
- Reduce vehicle speed in all residential neighborhoods.
For information about the O’Fallon Fire Station Safe Stop, please contact Craig Schmidt at 971-7372. For information about the Central School Safe Stop, please contact Detective Kathy Effan at 624-9535.