This week’s view features the delivery truck of Schaefer & Schlinger Dry Goods & Groceries that once operated at 129 E. State Street in O’Fallon. Charles Schaefer and Arthur Schlinger bought the store from Henry E. Tiedemann in February 1916. Their partnership didn’t last long, though. They both retired from the business at the end of 1918 and went their separate ways. Arthur became a shipping clerk at Eureka Steel Range Company in O’Fallon and later at Johnson Industries in St. Louis. Charles became a painter. One of his daughters was a teacher and had a school named after her — Marie Schaefer.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)