View of the Past: Henry C. Poignee’s Band

This week’s view is of Henry C. Poignee’s Band which was a popular fixture in early 20th century O’Fallon.  Poignee, standing fourth from left with a baton, is with the band in front of Joseph Taylor’s Opera House, 220 E. State, not long after it was built in 1908.  A member of O’Fallon High School’s first graduating class in 1903, he directed the band for a number of years.  Poignee was head auditor for Tiedemann Milling Company until 1929 when he became chief deputy for the St. Clair County Circuit Clerk, a position he held until his death in 1935 at age 50.

(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)