This week’s view is of the dumps at Taylor Mine in O’Fallon in 1917. Taylor Coal Mine was located just northwest of the new O’Fallon fire station on Taylor Road by the Family Sports Park. The dumps were literally where coal waste and debris from the coal mining process was dumped. Taylor mine, originally owned by Joseph Taylor, was active from 1883 until 1932 when it closed. Visiting the dumps was, apparently, a family activity as the photo illustrates. (Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.