View of the Past – May 10, 2017

This week’s view is of the steel skeleton of the great airship hangar at Scott Field (present day Scott Air Force Base) as it was being constructed in 1922.  The hangar which housed dirigibles and balloons required 3,200 tons of structural steel to build and measured 810 by 206.5 feet with a maximum height of 178 feet.  The hangar served Scott throughout its time as a Lighter Than Air (LTA) Army base.  But LTA operations ceased in 1937 and by January 1939 the hangar had been dismantled.  (Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)