This week’s view is of the old O’Fallon City Hall at the corner of Lincoln and Washington, ca. 1935. This is one of the last photos of the old steeple that towered over the front entrance and held the fire bell. The steeple was removed in September 1937. To the far right is the newly built American Legion hut — a log cabin constructed with electric poles from the streetcar that once traveled through O’Fallon along Second Street. The City of O’Fallon and Enterprise Grange engineered the moving of the hut to Community Park in 1976 where it remains today. The old City Hall, built in 1890, is currently being rehabbed by Brad McMillin.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)
For more, stop by the O’Fallon Historical Museum, located at 101 West State Street. The Museum is open Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. and by appointment.