View of the Past: The O’Fallon Public School on the corner of Third and Lincoln in the late 1800’s

This week’s view, from the late 1800’s, is of the O’Fallon Public School which once stood just east of the northeast corner of Third and Lincoln, facing Third Street.  Built in 1861, it was originally a two-room, two-story school house.  The first floor was used for classes and the second floor for lodge meetings and even church services.  Two more rooms were added in 1875 to accommodate more pupils.  A nearby shallow pond was a particular attraction for students who liked to skate on it during the winter.  The building was sold in 1902 after a new school was built on West Fifth Street and by 1918 it was torn down.  

(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)