This week’s view is of the south side of West State Street in O’Fallon between Lincoln and Cherry, taken in 1912 or shortly after. George Britsch’s meat market was in the building on the left and Peter Ritzheimer’s bar was on the right. Note the sign on the side door at the meat market indicating a second floor room was available for rent. The posts along the street were used for hitching horses. Both buildings were just to the west of what is now the O’Fallon History Museum and were destroyed by fire in 1978.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society)