This week’s view is of Schafer’s meat market and grocery, ca 1910, which once stood at the northeast corner of State and Vine in O’Fallon. The business was started in that building in 1858 by Daniel Schafer who had arrived from Germany two years earlier. In the early days, they butchered their own meat and cut their own ice to use for refrigeration. Dan Schafer sold the business to his son, Charles, in 1888. Schafer’s survived until 1952 when it was closed and the building sold to William Morton who used it as photography studio until 1955. It was torn down in 1972, by which time it was deemed an abandoned eyesore and safety hazard.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)