This week’s view, looking northeast, is from the old O’Fallon water tower which stood just south of the current tanks in the public works compound, east of the State Street railroad crossing. The photo was taken Dec. 1940 after the steam locomotive had just taken water from the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad water tank (on the left) and was preparing to head east. The building along the tracks heading north was the depot of the Louisville & Nashville (L. & N.) which, at one time, provided passenger service to Belleville. It was also used by the Illinois Terminal.
(Contributed by Brian Keller, O’Fallon Historical Society.)